Undergraduate and Graduate Student Internship Opportunities at the Institute for Advanced Composite Manufacturing Innovation
Are you interested in a cutting-edge manufacturing technologies internship?
The Institute for Advanced Composite Manufacturing Innovation (IACMI) has an interest in developing the skills of strong technical undergraduate and graduate students who might one day support the workforce in both talent and leadership. The IACMI Internship Program offers undergraduate and graduate students a chance to participate in a research experience with an assigned mentor at one of IACMI’s partner sites. The experience provides a maximum of 400 hours of participation either in a 10 week short-term appointment or a long-term appointment spanning the course of one year.
Selected candidates will develop and deliver a brief presentation and poster at the IACMI Members’ Meeting. The meeting location and dates vary; however, the meeting will fall within the appointment period. Students will be provided information upon selection. Travel expenses will be reimbursed according to ORAU Travel Policy. This event provides participants the opportunity to network and showcase their research with 300+ IACMI members to include industry, government, and academic partners.
In addition to being involved in IACMI partner activities that will be a sure complement to your academic programs, you will have the opportunity to use state-of-the-art equipment and interact with scientists and engineers who are at the top of their fields. Engaging in hands-on learning that is more project-based than traditional academic coursework is a critical way to refine your skill and intensify your interest in this exciting field of study.
- Provide opportunities for participants to become engaged in and contribute to activities relevant to the composites industry.
- Help create the future composites workforce by developing a pipeline of talent and leadership.
- Expose students to the burgeoning composites industry and to career opportunities within it.
Program participants will receive:
- A competitive weekly stipend commensurate with academic level for the duration of the program - $600 for undergraduate and $750 for graduate students, based on 40 hours of participation per week. Stipends for participation of less than 40 hours per week will be prorated accordingly.
- A weekly housing allowance of $175 and limited in- and outbound travel reimbursement to and from their internship site for selected students living more than 30 miles from the facility. Housing and travel reimbursement is limited to short-term appointments.
- Travel reimbursement to and from the IACMI Members’ Meeting, based on ORAU Travel Policy.
This program is open to qualified graduate and undergraduate students. To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a student in good standing at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 or the equivalent as verified by updated transcripts
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of appointment
- Provide proof of health insurance coverage. The participant can purchase health insurance coverage through ORAU.
- Reside locally–less than 30 miles from the selecting facility (long-term appointments only)
The 2018 summer application is NOW OPEN!
Electronic applications are currently being accepted for the 2018 summer internship opportunity. The appointment dates for the short-term summer appointment are June 4 – Aug. 10, 2018. Summer appointments require a commitment of 40 hours of participation per week. The deadline to apply for both opportunities is 11:59 p.m. EST on December 31, 2017.
|Opportunity Number||Opportunity Title||Location||Application Deadline|
|IACMI-2018-CMP||IACMI - The Composites Institute - Composite Materials and Process||Varies||Dec 31, 2017|
|IACMI-2018-WT||IACMI - The Composites Institute - Composite Materials for Wind Turbines||Golden, CO||Dec 31, 2017|
|IACMI-2018-VH||IACMI - The Composites Institute - Composite Materials for Vehicles||Detroit, MI||Dec 31, 2017|
|IACMI-2018-DMS||IACMI - The Composites Institute - Design, Modeling, and Simulation||West Lafayette, IN||Dec 31, 2017|
|IACMI-2018-CGS||IACMI -The Composites Institute - Compressed Gas Storage (CGS)||Dayton, OH||Dec 31, 2017|
For questions about the IACMI Internship Program, please contact:
IACMI Internship Program Manager
Phone: (865) 576-2311
Internship Program website: http://www.orau.org/iacmi/